The unique geography of Kerala makes it a home to diverse species of flora and fauna. These flora and fauna are efficiently conserved in numerous natural reserves which are spread all over the state. Though wildlife in Kerala majorly consists of tigers and elephants, you will also find rare and endangered species such as Lion-tailed Macaque, Indian Sloth Bear and Gaur in these parks. So, set out on a Kerala wildlife tour to explore and discover some of the best wildlife sanctuaries in Kerala.
1) Kumarakom Bird Sanctuary This is also known as the Vembanad Bird Sanctuary, since it is located on the banks of the Vembanad Lake. The mangroves forests, the rugged terrain and the nearby paddy fields; all provide great support to the large number of flora, fauna and avifauna species of the park. You can spot animals like Nilgiri Tahr, Wild Pigs, Leopards and Tigers whereas amongst birds, Cuckoos, Herons and Waterfowls are the most common in the park. In case you have book a Kerala wildlife tour for the migratory season, you can also spot various migratory birds like Siberian Cranes.
2) Periyar Wildlife Sanctuary This is the most famous wildlife sanctuary in Kerala. It is located in the Western Ghats spreading over an area of 777 sq km. The Periyar Lake flows across this park. Interestingly, this is the only wildlife sanctuary in India where you can watch the wild animals by taking a boat cruise in a lake. Some of the frequently spotted animals of this wild reserve are tigers, sloth bears, wild elephants, stripe-necked mongoose and wild boars to name a few. If you are a bird watcher, this sanctuary will be a paradise for you since it homes 260 different varieties of birds.
3) Wayanad Wildlife Sanctuary This sanctuary is a part of the Nilgiri Biosphere Reserve and is adjacent to three other protected natural reserves namely Nagarhole, Bandipur and Mudumalai. Some of the wildlife attractions of this park are elephants, tigers, gaur, sloth, cheetal, leopards, jackals, dholes and otters. Besides animals, the sanctuary is also home to a large variety of avifaunal species like crested serpent eagle, crested hawk eagle, malabar grey hornbill, red-wattled lapwings, king vulture and nightjars. Some rare and beautiful species of butterfly like the leopard butterfly can also be spotted in Wayanad.
4) Idukki Wildlife Sanctuary It is amongst the most visited wildlife sanctuary of Kerala. Located 40 kilometers away from the Thodapuzha district, this park is situated at a height of about 750 meters above sea level and spreads across an area of 77 square kilometers. This exotic place supports a large variety of fauna of which the main type are elephants, jungle cats, sambar deer, tigers, cobras, woodpeckers, jungle fowls, kingfishers, peafowl and a number of poisonous & non poisonous snakes.
5) Eravikulam Wildlife Sanctuary Some of the wildlife species found in this wildlife sanctuary are tiger, leopard, nilgiri tahr, gaur, lion-tailed macaque, atlas moth, Kerala laughing thrush, langur, sambhar, the white bellied shortwing and elephant. You can also spot a variety of beautiful birds here such as Yellow-Throated Marten, Nilgiri Wood Pigeon, White Bellied Shortwing and Black-and-orange Flycatcher. To add more adventure to your Kerala wildlife tour you can include trekking to the Anamudi peak that is located inside this park.
These are some of the famous wildlife sanctuaries situated in Kerala. You must definitely visit these destinations if you admire nature and love to watch animals in their natural habitat. To explore the diversities of wildlife in Kerala buy a proper Kerala wildlife tours package that covers a visit to the above mentioned destinations.